Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the YVR Art Foundation Mid-career Artist Scholarship Program 2020 [up to $5,000]. The full application details for the YVR Art Foundation Mid-career Artist Scholarship Program can be accessed below.
YVR Art Foundation Mid-career Artist Scholarship Program
Applications for the YVR Art Foundation Mid-career Artist Scholarship Program 2020 are now open. The YVR Art Foundation offers Mid-career Artist Scholarships to British Columbia and Yukon Indigenous mid-career artists who are age 30 years or older and who reside in BC or the Yukon.
Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to mid-career artists who create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture. Visual art can include drawing, painting, illustration, carving, printmaking, textiles, animation, photography and film.
- Up to three Mid-Career Artist Scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded in 2020. Mid-Career Artist Scholarship recipients will be selected by a Jury comprised of curators and/or senior Indigenous artists.
- Be of BC or Yukon First Nations ancestry
- Reside in BC or Yukon
- Be age 30 or older in 2020 (born in 1990 or before)
- Create visual art that reflects BC or Yukon First Nations culture
- Have completed basic art training including but not limited to formal education in visual arts, worked with an artist mentor or a combination of similar experience
- Have achieved local and/or provincial recognition through public presentation of their artwork
- Be able to submit a portfolio of artwork that demonstrates the artist’s commitment to their practice
Eligible Programs of Study
Artists can apply for a Mid-Career Artist Scholarship for one of the following three areas:
- To work/study with a master artist in a particular medium or to develop a particular skill under the guidance of a master artist
- To attend a school of art
- To create an art work or work on an art project that is significant to the artist’s community
The proposed art work or project must demonstrate cultural significance to the artist’s community, such as an installation, participation in a community visual art project, or creating a work of special traditional or historical significance.
It is important that the applicant considers and describes in their application how receiving this scholarship will specifically assist them in advancing their art career and provides them with the opportunity to work on something that they would otherwise not be able to do.
Within a period of one year of receiving the scholarship, the recipient must either:
- Ship the artwork created during their scholarship year to the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) for a one-year exhibit/display; or
- Submit a detailed written report by in lieu of exhibiting/displaying their work at YVR.
Note: If applicants indicate on their application that they choose to exhibit/display their artwork at YVR, the completed work must fit within the YVR display case dimensions (43″ w × 29″ d × 66″ h) and be shipped or delivered to YVR by April 2021 to be included as part of the annual Scholarship Awards Event on Friday, May 28, 2021.
How to Apply
- Fill out the online application form OR
- Download a PDF copy of the Application Guidelines and Application Forms, complete it and mail or deliver/courier it to the address listed on the application.
For more information, visit the YVR Art Foundation.
Application Deadline: January 30, 2020.