Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme 2019/2020 (Funding available). The full application details for the UNU-WIDER Visiting Ph.D. Fellowship Programmecan be accessed below.
UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme
The United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER) is part of the United Nations University (UNU). UNU-WIDER, the first research and training centre to be established by the UNU, is an international academic organization set up with the aim of promoting peace and progress by bringing together leading scholars from around the world to tackle pressing global problems.
Applications are open for the UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme 2019/2020. The Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme gives registered doctoral students the opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their PhD dissertation or thesis research on developing economies, and to work with their researchers in areas of mutual interest.
Visiting PhD fellows typically spend three consecutive months at UNU-WIDER before returning to their home institution. During their time in Helsinki, fellows prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. They may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
- UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their fellowship. The programme does not provide services or cover expenses related to dependents.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies;
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute;
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills;
- Applications from suitably qualified early-career, female, and developing country researchers are particularly encouraged;
- The programme is especially addressed at researchers at later stages of their PhD.
As part of your application, you will be asked to upload your curriculum vitae. Your PhD supervisor will need to provide UNU-WIDER with a letter of reference, which should be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: email@example.com. The reference letter will also be used to certify that you are enrolled in a PhD programme at your university.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply.
For more information, visit the UNU-WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme.