Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the United Nations Information Service’s Graduate Study Programme 2020. The full application details for the United Nations Information Service’s Graduate Study Programme can be accessed below.
United Nations Information Service’s Graduate Study Programme
Applications are open for the United Nations Information Service’s Graduate Study Programme 2020. The Programme provides an opportunity for participants to deepen their understanding of the United Nations System and the International Geneva through first-hand observations, lectures and study. The Graduate Study Programme is held at the United Nations Office at Geneva in early July every year.
This seminar, as part of the educational outreach programmes undertaken by the United Nations, provides an opportunity for outstanding graduate and postgraduate students from all over the world to deepen their understanding of the principles, purposes and activities of the United Nations, its related agencies and the International Geneva as a whole.
The 58th Graduate Study Programme will be held at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland from Monday, 29 June to Friday, 10 July 2020. It will comprise lectures given by senior members of the United Nations and other Geneva-based organizations, visits to institutions, and daily work in working groups under the guidance of expert moderators. The GSP theme for 2020 will be: “United Nations at 75: Shaping Our Future Together”
- Applicants must be between 22 and 32 years of age at the time of application.
- Most sessions will be held in English, therefore absolute fluency in English is essential. As several sessions will be held in French, solid working knowledge of French is also needed.
The participants in the Graduate Study Programme are selected by a Selection Committee composed of officials of the United Nations Office at Geneva with various backgrounds and professional experiences.
The Selection Committee is guided by the following criteria:
- Academic background
- Extracurricular activities
- Geographical balance
- Gender balance
- Knowledge of the two working languages of the Programme (English and French)
- Usefulness of the Programme for the career of the applicant
Terms and Conditions
- Once selected, successful candidates will be asked ahead of time to provide a medical certificate attesting good health and a proof of medical insurance coverage in Switzerland at the time of the GSP (these two documents will only be accepted in English or French). Applications from those already employed full time cannot be considered.
- Candidates will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision by mid-April 2020. Participation in this programme is free of charge. The United Nations does not make any financial contribution towards the travel costs and residential expenses of participants. Governments or universities may offer grants to selected candidates. Candidates should seek advice from their universities on this point.
How to Apply
The application form should be accompanied by a copy of the applicant’s passport, a letter of recommendation (in English or French only) from a university or governmental authority, proof of current enrolment (at the time of application) in a Master’s degree programme or a postgraduate degree programme (or equivalent), and university diplomas obtained.
For more information, visit Graduate Study Programme.
Application Deadline: March 2, 2020.