Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Africa Internship Programme 2019. The full application details for the UNCTAD Africa Internship Programme can be accessed below.
UNCTAD Africa Internship Programme
The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) was established in 1964 as a permanent intergovernmental body. UNCTAD is the part of the United Nations Secretariat dealing with trade, investment, and development issues.
UNCTAD INTERNSHIP – PUBLIC INFORMATION / OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR DIVISION FOR AFRICA LEAST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES AND SPECIAL PROGRAMMES, I (Temporary Job Opening)
Job Code Title:
INTERN – PUBLIC INFORMATION
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
06 August 2019 – 09 September 2019
Job Opening Number:
19-Public Information-UNITED NAT-121146-J-Geneva (O
This profile is for the sole purpose of the Internship Programme of the United Nations Conference for Trade and Development. There should be no expectation of employment within the UN after an internship. Interns shall not be eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, positions at the professional level and above carrying international recruitment status in the Secretariat for a period of six months following the end of their internship. UN interns must have a valid visa. The Internship Programme is unpaid and full-time, i.e. an intern is expected to work five days per week (8:30 am to 5:30 pm).
This position is located in the front office of the Division for Africa, Least Developed Countries and Special Programmes. The internship will start on 30 September 2019 for a period of 3 months.
Carrying out his/her tasks under the supervision of the Chief of the Front Office, the intern will perform the following functions:
•Draft information communications products for target audiences, to include press releases, communications and social media campaigns, reports, brochures or flyers, briefings, prepare short video/animated clips, newsletters, websites.
•Contribute to the implementation of the Division’s communication strategy, including through the production and distribution of information material for a variety of media and social media channels.
•In consultation with the relevant senior officials, prepare initials drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books.
•Identify key contacts/constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate and enhance communication efforts.
•Organize or participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, press briefings, interviews, etc.; prepares briefing materials for senior officials prior to their participation in such events.
More generally, interns shall:
1. Observe all applicable rules, regulations, instructions, procedures and directives of the Organization notwithstanding their status as described in section 4 of the UN Internship Programme Administrative Instructions ST/AI/2000/9 & ST/AI/2005/11.
2. Provide the receiving departments/offices with a copy of all materials prepared by them during the internship. The UN shall be entitled to all property rights, including but not limited to patents, copyrights and trademarks, with regard to material which bears a direct relation to or is made in consequence of, the services provided under the internship. At the request of the UN, the interns shall assist in securing such property rights and transferring them to the UN in compliance with the requirements of the applicable law.
3. Respect the impartiality and independence required of the UN and of the receiving department/office and shall not seek or accept instructions regarding the services performed under the internship agreement from any Government or from any authority external to the UN.
4. Unless otherwise authorized by the appropriate official in the receiving department/office, they may not communicate at any time to the media or to any institution, person, Government or any other external source any information which has become known to them by reason of their association with the UN or the receiving department/office, that they know or ought to have known has not been made public. They may not use any such information without the written authorization of the appropriate official, and such information may never be used for personal gain. These obligations also apply after the end of the internship with the UN. and.
5. Refrain from any conduct that would adversely reflect on the UN or on the receiving department/office and will not engage in any activity which is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the UN. Competencies
– Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
– Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
– Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
– Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
– Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
– Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
-Places team agenda before personal agenda.
-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
-Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view.
-Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
-Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
-Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
-Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects.
-Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client. Education
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
• Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
• Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
• Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, much commence the internship within a one year period of graduation from an academic programme. Applicants who are unable to commence the internship within one year of graduation shall not be accepted.
Applicants should as well:
• Be computer literate in standard software applications;
• Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
• Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
For this position, the university degree must be in the area of journalism, international relations, public administration or related area. Work Experience
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme. Languages
Fluency in English is required for this internship. Knowledge of French is desirable. Assessment
Candidates will be assessed based on their Personel History Profiles (PHP). Individual interviews may be conducted for futher assessment. A complete online application (Cover Note and Personal History profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The cover Note must include:
– Title of degree you are currently pursuing;
– Graduation date (when will you be graduating from the programme);
– List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in;
– Explain why you are the best candidate for the internship position.
In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experience, if any; IT skills and three (3) references.
How to Apply for UNCTAD Africa Internship Programme
Candidates who have met the above-listed criteria should click here to apply.