Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the SEI Africa Internship Program for Postgraduate (MSc and Ph.D.) Students & Recent Graduates 2019. The full application details for the SEI Africa Internship Programme can be accessed below.
SEI Africa Internship Programme
SEI Africa is based in Nairobi, Kenya and is hosted by the World Agroforestry Centre. The center collaborates with African governments, organizations and networks, acting as a hub for SEI’s engagement across the continent. The center’s work focuses on four key areas: energy and climate; natural resources and ecosystems; sustainable urbanization; and health and environment.
The SEI Africa Internship program provides a unique learning opportunity for postgraduate (MSc and Ph.D.) students and recently graduated students from diverse academic backgrounds.
SEI values diversity and encourages qualified women and men to apply. Our internship program is part of capacity building activities and is designed for talented and motivated individuals who would like to gain knowledge and learn skills in the field of environment and development, and in particular, SEI’s thematic focus areas. It allows selected candidates to gain insight into the work of SEI and provides training and experience in various professional fields.
SEI Africa provides a hub for SEI’s engagements across the continent and works actively to make connections with research and policy organizations. The center work has a focus on four key areas: Energy and climate change; Natural resources and ecosystems; Health and environment; and Sustainable Urbanization. We also have an active communications team with expertise in project communication strategies, writing, and social media.
Through these five areas, interns at SEI Africa can benefit from exposure to a wide range of pertinent environmental and development issues in Africa, achieved through research activities, science and policy processes, and field work that allow them to gain valuable work experience and insights.
- You hold a master’s degree in a field related to our work or are currently studying a related master’s course;
- You have an interest in one of SEI Africa’s work areas, i.e. Energy and climate change; Natural resources and ecosystems; Health and environment; and Sustainable urbanization or communication;
- The minimum internship period is 6 months;
- Fluency in spoken and written English. An additional language especially French and Portuguese is a plus; and
- Priority is given to candidates from Sub-Saharan Africa.
For applicants from the sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) region, we offer a stipend of Kenyan Shillings 50,000 per month (approx. US$ 500) for the duration of the internship.
Internship applications from outside SSA are also welcomed, however, if accepted, the intern will be responsible for obtaining their own funding and insurance for the full duration of the internship period at SEI.
Please note that SEI does not provide housing, and can unfortunately not assist in finding accommodation. We will, however, assist you to obtain a Kenyan visa that will allow you to do your internship for that duration.
SEI Africa currently offers two internship periods each year: January to June and July to December. Exceptions can be made based on individual discussions should the applicant or SEI research team have special requirements concerning the timing of the internship.
The internship period is 6 months and can be only extended once, for an extra 6 months – based on individual performance and organizational needs.
While the specific design of the internship is individually based, there are two general types. One is mainly based on an initiative from the applicant that falls within the core interests and expertise of SEI. This could include the writing of a Master Thesis. The other is a project based on clearly defined internship tasks within the scope of our ongoing work.
- Send the following documents to info-Africa@sei.org
- A letter of application, highlighting relevant background, qualifications, desired internship period, research interest area (i.e. Energy and climate change; Natural resources and ecosystems; Health and environment; Sustainable urbanization; or communications) and expected achievement at the end of the internship (maximum 2 pages).
- Curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages).
- Recent writing samples if any (not mandatory but would be appreciated).
- Before the beginning of each internship period, shortlisted applicants are invited for a short presentation and interview.
- Selected candidates are informed per email.
How to Apply for SEI Africa Internship Programme
Candidates who have met the above-listed criteria should Click here to apply.
Application Deadline: 31st May 2019.