Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Pilot African Postgraduate Academy (PAPA) 2019/2020 for Young African Scholars. The full application details for the Pilot African Postgraduate Academy (PAPA) can be accessed below.
Pilot African Postgraduate Academy (PAPA)
Applications for the Pilot African Postgraduate Academy (PAPA) 2019/2020 are now open. The program aims at fostering among promising early-career African scholars in the social sciences and humanities a commitment to the value of scholarship for its own sake, cultivating their interest in conceptual understanding and promoting an orientation towards the use of knowledge acquired in Africa to contribute to the further development of science in general.
The program is part of an ambitious project of establishing a firm scientific foundation for the pursuit and production of knowledge in Africa by Africans in dialogue with their local and international peers – a project made pressingly relevant by developments in research funding policy posing serious risks to scholarship in Africa. The programme focuses thematically on conflict, migration, youth and urbanization in Africa.
The three-year post-doctoral training program under the supervision of Mamadou Diawara (University of Frankfurt, Germany) and Elísio Macamo (University of Basel, Switzerland) is based at Point Sud in Bamako, Mali, and funded by the Gerda Henkel Foundation. 15 early-career scholars based at African universities will be awarded a three-year fellowship.
- Fellows will receive a monthly grant of €300 on top of travel funds allowing them to attend the courses in Bamako. Meals and hotel expenses are covered in Bamako.
- A lump sum fund of €10,000 is foreseen to organize workshops at the home institution, invite researchers and collaboration partners, attend conferences (in their home countries and abroad), conduct research and work on their publications.
- Open to young scholars based at African universities;
- Applicants should have finished their Ph.D. no longer than 10 years before applying and should not be older than 50 years of age;
- Excellent French and a good command of English are basic requirements;
- They strongly encourage female researchers to apply.
How to Apply for Pilot African Postgraduate Academy (PAPA)
Applications should be submitted to the following address: Dr. Stefan Schmid, email@example.com.
For more information, visit Pilot African Postgraduate Academy.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2019.