Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Mawazo Institute Ph.D. Scholars Programme 2020 for African Women [Grant up to $8,000]. The full application details for the Mawazo Institute Ph.D. Scholars Programme can be accessed below.
Mawazo Institute Ph.D. Scholars Programme
Applications are invited for the Mawazo Institute Ph.D. Scholars Programme 2020 for African Women. The Ph.D. Scholars Programme is a one-year, non-residential fellowship where Ph.D. Scholars receive a research grant to support their research, a travel grant for conference travel, and a training grant for ongoing training.
Scholars also benefit from professional and leadership skills trainings provided by Mawazo and their partners, research and editorial support, as well as mentorship and networking opportunities. This programme is designed to amplify Scholars’ research and position them as the next generation of leading experts, thinkers, and innovators who are finding homegrown solutions to local development challenges.
Mawazo Ph.D. Scholars will receive the following benefits:
- A research grant of up to $5000
- A travel grant worth up to $2000 for participation in regional or international conferences
- A training grant worth up to $500 for field-specific training not offered by Mawazo
- A stipend worth $500 for discretionary use
- Participation in Mawazo’s in-house professional development and leadership training programme, comprised of a mix of in-person and virtual training modules
- Research and editorial support from the Mawazo staff and our partners
- Connections to mentors, as well as exposure to leaders from academia, industry, government and other sectors
- Visibility via Mawazo digital platforms and events
- Applicants must be women below the age of 40 as at January 1, 2020
- Be citizens of an African country
- Be enrolled for their PhD at an accredited university in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania or Uganda
- Have completed their course work if applicable and passed their departmental proposal defense (i.e. in the dissertation phase of their PhD)
- Demonstrate that their research project is related to African development and is relevant to a global, regional, national or sub-national policy priority
- Demonstrate potential for leadership both within and outside academia, and a strong passion to leverage their expertise for impact in society
- Be available to fully participate in the programme in 2020-2021
All applications will be reviewed by the Mawazo Institute staff and a panel of external expert reviewers. Successful applicants will demonstrate that they can do the following:
- Meet all eligibility requirements
- Identify a problem which has important implications for African development and is linked to a global, regional, national or sub-national policy priority
- Demonstrate that their research is academically rigorous and addresses a unique and important gap in the field
- Propose a research project which has clear objectives, is appropriately designed for the question being asked, and can be feasibly executed with the financial resources available and within a one- to two-year timeline.
- Write a summary of their project which is clear, concrete, and accessible to scholars outside their own field
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to fill in and submit their applications via our online application portal. Applications will not be accepted by email or in hard copy. Applications will be considered complete when the following are provided:
- A completed online application form
- A current 2-page CV
- A letter confirming current enrollment in an accredited Ph.D. programme
- A letter confirming that you have completed your course work (if applicable) and passed your departmental defense
- A recommendation letter from your PhD supervisor
- A recommendation letter from a second referee
- A completed budget and timeline for the project (download the template here)
- A completed budget narrative of 500 words or less
For instructions on how to use our online platform, complete your application and meet all the requirements required for consideration, download the application guidelines here.
For more information, visit Mawazo Institute.
Application Deadline: November 22, 2019.