Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2020/2021 at The University of British Columbia [Fully-funded]. The full application details for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program can be accessed below.
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
Applications are open for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2020/2021 at the University of British Columbia. The Program will provide academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people from Sub-Saharan Africa with access to quality and relevant university education at UBC. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
In addition to their curricula engagement, the scholars will be mentored, engaged in leadership capacity building, participate in local and international community service learning, and take up summer internships in Africa to foster their interest and capacity to return to Africa to give back to their communities.
Reflecting UBC’s strategic commitment to supporting international students, the Mastercard Scholars will benefit from academic and social support programs such as Jump Start, programs focused on student wellbeing and personal development, while benefiting from the direct support of a newly created program director and a full range of academic success programs.
- The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program covers all expenses associated with UBC tuition, housing and food. Scholars also receive a stipend each month to support their lives in Vancouver.
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- must not already have a graduate or PhD degree;
- be a citizen or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Faculty of Arts
- Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs
- Faculty of Education
- Master of Educational Administration and Leadership (M.Ed)
- Master of Higher Education (M.Ed)
- Master of Education in Science Education (M.Ed)
- Faculty of Forestry
- Master of Science (MSc)
- Master of Applied Science (MASc)
- Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM)
- Master of International Forestry (MIF)
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM)
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE)
- Master of Food Science (MFS)
- Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS)
- Faculty of Medicine
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Faculty of Science
- Master of Data Science
- Sauder School of Business
- Full-Time MBA Program
- Faculty of Arts
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
- Step 1: Admissibility Submission: November 6, 2019
- Step 2: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application December 13, 2019
- Step 3: UBC Faculty Applications:
- Arts: January 2, 2020
- *Masters in Science Education (SCED) – December 1, 2019*
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL) – January 2, 2020
- Masters of Higher Education (HIED) – January 2, 2020
- *Forestry: January 13, 2020*
- Land and Food Systems: January 2, 2020
- Medicine: January 2, 2020
- Science: January 2, 2020
- Sauder School of Business: January 2, 2020.
How to Apply for Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
Applicants who have met the above-listed criteria should CLICK HERE to apply.