Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Programme 2022/2023. The full application details for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Programme can be accessed below.
Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Programme
Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Awards, Japan 2022-23 is open for International Students Nationalities specified by MEXT.. The scholarship allows PhD, Masters level programm(s) in the field of All Subjects taught at The University of Tokyo . The deadline of the scholarship is Open.
Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Awards, Japan 2022-23 is available to undertake PhD, Masters level programs at The University of Tokyo.
Following subject are available to study under this scholarship program.
- All Subjects
Selected students will be awarded 144,000 yen/month (for a student of a Master’s Program), or 145,000 yen/month (for a student of a Doctoral Program) along with transportation cost and tuition fees.
International students with outstanding academic records (*1) who wish to enter Japan in October, 2022 as a new student (*2) to study in the Master’s or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science.
Applicants who have already graduated from their latest degree program should have a final grade point of 2.30 or higher, while current students should have a grade point of 2.30 or higher for their current courses, and both should be expected to maintain the same academic standards during the course of the scholarship program.
* Grade points shall be calculated according to a formula specified by MEXT.
- Language Proficiency
Applicants must meet one of the language requirements in either English or in Japanese as described below:
Holds an English proficiency test score equivalent to B2 or above on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale (e.g. TOEFL iBT 72 or above, IELTS 5.5 or above).
* To see what counts as “B2 or above on the CEFR scale”, please refer to the CEFR Equivalency Chart.:
To see the CEFR Equivalency Chart, please click here.
Has completed an educational program whose primary language of instruction is English that satisfies the entrance requirements to the Master’s Program or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo.
Has passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) with a score of N2 or higher.
Has completed an educational program whose primary language of instruction is Japanese that satisfies the entrance requirements to the Master’s Program or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo.
- In principle, applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1987.
- Academic background
Applicants must have the necessary qualifications to be admitted to the Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo as a Master’s or a Doctoral Program student.
- Field of Study
Applicants should apply for the field of study that they studied at their previous university or a related field. Applicants should select a field that they are able to research at their chosen host university in Japan.
How to Appply
- Application form (must be in double-sided print)Please click here to download* Note that applicants may be required to resubmit the application form in January 2022.
- Field of Study and Research PlanPlease click here to download
- Letter of recommendation from “dean or above”
* This letter must fulfill all of the following conditions:
- The name of the addressee stated in the letter must be “the President of the University of Tokyo”
- The letter must be printed on your university’s letterhead.
- The letter must be written by and signed by a dean or above. Digital signature is not acceptable.
- Passport-type photo taken within the last 6 months (4.5 x 3.5 cm, upper-body, full-faced, without a cap)
- Write name and nationality on the back and glue it to the application form. A photo in electronic data format is acceptable.