Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Government Communication Service (GCS) Internship 2020 in the United Kingdom [Paid-position]. The full application details for the Government Communication Service (GCS) Internship can be accessed below.
Government Communication Service (GCS) Internship
Applications are invited for the Government Communication Service (GCS) Internship 2020. The GCS internship offers a unique opportunity to develop your skills and the chance to work across a wide range of communications disciplines, delivering cutting edge work for the UK government.
They offer a 6 to 12 week paid internship within either a government department or public body. This will give you experience in what it’s like to be a government communicator in the Civil Service. You will be subject to an intensive programme of communications profession activities. This includes a one day induction into the Government Communication Service. You will get communications training sessions, a careers workshop and attend networking events.
Interns will contribute to exciting new ideas and real issues that affect real people. You could find yourself:
- conducting research and analysing audience insight;
- assisting with the creation and implementation of campaigns;
- creating innovative content for social media;
- working in a busy media office and with senior officials;
- organising events across the UK;
- providing project support; or
- working on a major staff engagement programme.
- Interns will receive a salary of £350 per week.
To apply, candidates must:
- Be in their final two years at university or a 2019 graduate – in a communications related subject (awarded or expected) or
- Be working towards a degree equivalent qualification (NVQ level 6)
- Meet the nationality requirement and the right to work in the UK requirement: Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non-EEA nationals.
- You must be a British citizen to work in some placements, and additional clearance checks may be required depending on your placement. Please note your placement and start date is dependent upon completion of security clearance.
Candidates must also be from one or more of the following backgrounds:
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME)
- Lower socioeconomic background
- Care leaver background
- Candidates who consider themselves to have a disability
Successful candidates will be:
- Interested in news stories and have an understanding of current affairs;
- Able to determine appropriate communication tools and channels to deliver key messages;
- Able to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of campaigns;
- Flexible, proactive and able to work under-pressure to deadlines;
- Passionate about making a difference;
- Good written and oral communicators;
- Organized and creative; and
- Able to show the ability to work effectively, independently and as part of a team
Most placements are in London. You may also get a position across the UK. If you are available to work in other cities apart from London, state this when filling in your application. Note that they cannot guarantee that they can match you to your preferred option.
How to Apply
Click here to apply.