Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme to Study in the United Kingdom 2020 (Fully Funded). The full application details for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme can be accessed below.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships were established by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation with a $210 million donation to enable outstanding graduate students from all around the world to study at the University of Cambridge. The gift remains the largest single donation to a UK university in history.
Applications for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2020 to study in the United Kingdom are now open. The scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the United Kingdom to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The aim of the Gate Cambridge programme is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university. For 2020 entry, Gates Cambridge will offer 80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is one of the most generous international scholarships available. It covers the following costs:
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child (2020-21 rate). No funding is provided for a partner
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee)
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- One year postgraduate course (with some exceptions – see below)
Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
The selection criteria are:
- Outstanding intellectual ability
- Reasons for choice of course
- A commitment to improving the lives of others
- Leadership potential
Applicants submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal.
How to Apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme
Application Deadline: October 9th, 2019 (US Citizens) / January 7, 2020 (Other Applicants)
For more information, visit Gates Cambridge Scholarship.