Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Future Africa Tuks Young Research Leader Programme at the University of Pretoria 2020. The full application details for the Future Africa Tuks Young Research Leader Programme can be accessed below.
Future Africa Tuks Young Research Leader Programme
Applications are open for the Future Africa Tuks Young Research Leader Programme 2019. The TYRLP is an initiative of Future Africa at the University of Pretoria, in partnership with the Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) and Inclusive Innovation. It serves early career researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts and the humanities.
The programme aims to grow early career academics at UP in the areas of thought leadership, team development, engagement and collaboration, with the intention of enabling them to solve the complex issues that face society. A further aim is to form a community within the University of the like-minded young researchers who possess qualities that will contribute to UP becoming and leading as a research-intensive University, in line with the projected UP 2025 vision.
An exciting element for the 2019 TYRLP cohort is that they will share the experience of the workshop with the Early Career Research Leader Fellows (ECRLF). The ECRLF is also an initiative of Future Africa, funded by Carnegie Corporation of New York and consists of 15 excellent researchers from 7 African countries. The intention is to create the opportunity for a rich exchange of ideas that transcend institutions, research fields and countries on the African continent.
The programme will use a highly interactive approach to training, application of skills to a leadership initiative, peer support, and mentorship. Fellows will attend a two day, intensive on-site programme at Future Africa. The process will involve an approach that cycles between theory, application and reflection. Participants will be challenged to work collaboratively to design initiatives that advance a new paradigm for their science
The training will cover elements of:
- Core elements of collective leadership
- Creative and systems thinking
- Development of effective networks
- Stakeholder engagement for change
- Maximising the efficiency and impact of collaborative efforts
- Advanced dialogue and communication skills
- Effective problem solving and decision making
- Open to candidates who are committed to developing science leadership at the University of Pretoria. The training itself requires the time commitment of a two day training session, including the evening function on the first day.
- Applicants need to display a compelling vision of their future involvement in the development of leadership initiatives, programmes, human capacity, specific policies or societal structures.
The following criteria are used as a guide for the nomination and selection of fellows:
- A research fellowship with 2 years experience or a faculty position at UP;
- Outstanding scientific potential and outputs;
- A desire to nurture a culture of research excellence;
- Internationally influential, but South Africa and Africa focused;
- A desire to work collaboratively on inter- and trans-disciplinary problems;
- An appetite for multiple stakeholder engagement, research communication; and
- Commitment to participate in all the activities of the fellowship.
All applicants have to provide a support letter by an academic referee (details are provided in the application form). Please ensure that the support letter is sent from an accredited institutional email address. The referee has to commit to be involved in future communications and mentorship in case of selection of the applicant into the programme.
The referee will be informed about the progress of the fellow and should be willing to support the fellow if he or she requires it. All applications will be reviewed and shortlisted by representatives of the University of Pretoria and ASLP Management. The final selection of candidates will be made by the ASLP Management team.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply.
Application Deadline: September 25, 2019.