Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the DAAD PLAAS NELGA Scholarship for Masters and Doctoral Studies 2020. The full application details for the DAAD PLAAS NELGA Scholarship can be accessed below.
DAAD PLAAS NELGA Scholarship
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in collaboration with the Institute for Poverty, Land & Agrarian Studies (PLAAS), University of the Western Cape (UWC), is offering in-country/in-region scholarships, within the Network of Excellence for Land Governance in Africa (NELGA).
This forms part of the Strengthening Advisory Capacities for Land Governance in Africa (SLGA) programme funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (MBZ).
DAAD is offering competitive scholarships for Masters and Doctoral Studies in Poverty, Land & Agrarian Studies, offered at PLAAS, UWC. These scholarships are aimed at young candidates, mid-career professionals, researchers and university staff. Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The programme supports those in subject areas with strong relevance to land governance/land management. They propose the following topic areas for scholarships:
- Land tenure, including customary tenure, titling and land markets
- Water, forestry, fisheries and ecosystems management
- Farming systems, agricultural development and the rural non-farm economy
- Agricultural investment and inclusive business models
- Governance, policy frameworks and investment standards
- Population, migration and urbanisation
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Agro-food systems, food prices and food security
- Regional cooperation and integration and the agro-food system
The scholarship covers
- Tuition fees
- Study and research allowance: 460 EUR (Master) and 920 EUR (PhD)
- Printing allowance: 400 EUR (Master) and 800 EUR (PhD)
- Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
- Master In-Country: 400 EUR
- Master In-Region: 450 EUR
- PhD In-Country: 450 EUR
- PhD In-Region: 500 EUR
- Travel allowance (In-Region only)
- Insurance (for In-Region only)
- Applicants have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper third of class)
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- Have a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- Must be nationals or permanent resident of an African country
- Hold a SAQA Certificate of Evaluation or be in the process of obtaining one if they hold a non-South African university degree;
- Should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector.
How to Apply
The application process contains two steps. Your attention is drawn towards the two application deadlines.
- Step One: Applicants are required to apply for the respective programme at PLAAS, UWC and are subject to their application procedures. Click here for more information on the PLAAS MPhil & PhD Information Sheet_2020. The PLAAS application deadline is October 31, 2019.
- Step Two: Once shortlisted, PLAAS, UWC will provide a link to the DAAD-Portal. The DAAD application deadline is November 30, 2019.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2019
For more information, visit the DAAD PLAAS NELGA Scholarship.