Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified candidates for the APWLD South-South Placement Young Women’s Leadership Programme 2019. The full application details for the APWLD South-South Placement Young Women’s Leadership Programme can be accessed below.
APWLD South-South Placement Young Women’s Leadership Programme
APWLD developed from dialogues among women lawyers, social scientists and activists from the Asia Pacific, which began at the 1985 Third World Forum on Women, held in Nairobi, Kenya. Participants in these dialogues recognized that gaining the capacity to mobilize people to understand social, economic and political dimensions of women’s oppression and take collective action for change required a clear focus and strong organisation. In 1986, women lawyers and activists in the region formally launched APWLD and set up a Secretariat in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The Secretariat relocated to Chiang Mai, Thailand in 1997; with a satellite Secretariat in Penang, Malaysia opened in 2017 to support the growing work of APWLD.
Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law, and Development (APWLD) is inviting young women from its member organizations to apply for the South-South Placement Young Women’s Leadership Programme.
This is an exciting opportunity for young feminist leaders from the Asia Pacific region to work at APWLD Secretariat and be part of the work advancing women’s human rights and global solidarity for Development Justice. It is a paid volunteer position with APWLD’s Women in Power (WiP) program.
The South-South placement is designed with the following objectives:
- Increase members’ knowledge, capacity, and ownership around regional and international program work.
- Increase Secretariat’s understanding of national contexts and grassroots movements.
- Build a pool of feminist leaders and experts from developing countries in the region.
The successful applicant will be hosted at APWLD Secretariat in Chiang Mai, Thailand for the period of six to ten months. She will work closely with Programme Organising Committee members and Programme Officer for Women in Power with the following roles and responsibilities:
- Provide support in coordinating activities under the Women in Power programs such as the Regional Women Leaders’ Roundtable and Womanifesto
- Provide assistance to the research report on the State of Democracy in Asia Pacific, including communications outreach
- Provide assistance to the design and execution of the second cycle of the Womanifesto Programme
- Provide research assistance on other relevant advocacy opportunities related to the program work
- Assist with publication work in the WiP program, including research and editing
- Assist with logistical arrangements during WiP pieces of training and meetings
- Collaborate with APWLD’s Communications team to produce content from the WiP program activities for members & public consumption such as Op-Ed, blog post and interviews
- Other tasks as required
- APWLD will cover the cost of a round trip airfare to/from Chiang Mai and visa fee for the successful applicant. A small stipend (USD 800 per month, for six-ten months) will be provided to cover living, housing and other miscellaneous costs during the placement.
- In case the volunteer and the member organization endorsing the placement wish to extend the duration of their work at APWLD Secretariat, the additional costs may be shared by APWLD and the member organization. The role and other detailed arrangements for the extended placement will be agreed between the two organizations.
- The volunteer is expected to start her work in July 2019.
- Open to any young woman (below 35 years of age at the time of application) who has not held an executive position within the organisation;
- Have at least 2-5 years of experience in women’s movement at local or national level without significant exposure to international and regional level experiences;
- In-depth knowledge and understanding on women’s rights and development in Asia Pacific, with a focus on grassroots democratic movements and women’s human rights;
- Commitment and availability for the placement for a minimum of six months period;
- Proficient in English, both oral and written;
- Proficient in ICT skills including social media;
- A written commitment or agreement with the recommending national organization to work (as a paid staff or on a voluntary basis) for a double period on her return (e.g. If the placement was for six months, return services should be for a year);
- Staff, advocate, volunteer, close affiliate or member of APWLD member organizations from developing countries in the Asia Pacific Region, and must be recommended by that organization. (Check whether your organization is a member of APWLD here).
Interested applicants should submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Completed Application Form
- Endorsement letter from APWLD member organization.
These documents are to be submitted with the subject line “Application for South-South Placement” to Madhura Chakraborty at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply for APWLD Placement Young Women’s Leadership Programme
Candidates who have met the above-listed criteria should Click here to apply.